Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fried Apple and Onions


I know what you’re thinking. Who in there right mind fries apples? With onions, of all things! First off, I never said I was in my right mind. Secondly, when visiting Greenfield Village the other day, that’s what the reenactors where about to make for dinner, so our old timey ancestors thought it was a great idea apparently.

While my mother and I did not get a chance to stay and watch how they cooked it, we assumed that we could figure our how to fry’em up! While they are surprisingly tasty, it is an unusual taste compared to what modern taste buds are used too. The onions become slightly sweet and the apple’s sweetness is cut down a bit, but it shines through the onion and bacon grease taste. Hope you enjoy this little experience as much as we did!

Fried Apple and Onions
1 to 2 Servings

1 medium sized apple, sliced (I used a green apple, because that is what we had handy)
1 medium sized onion, sliced (I used a sweet onion, because that is what we had handy)
1 tsp margarine
1tsp bacon grease

Step One: Melt margarine with bacon grease.
Step Two: Add apple slices
Step Three: Once apple slices are appropriately half way cooked, add onion slices.
Step Four: It is done when apples are cooked through and onions are translucent.

I served it with bacon since I do not have random bacon grease sitting around for recipes.

Things to add: Salt/Pepper, sweet spices, savory spices, maybe garlic. Honestly, however, I think it would be better to keep this recipe as simple as possible considering the odd mixture of apples and onions to begin with.


No comments:

Post a Comment