Friday, November 4, 2011

Roasted Garlic, Mmmm

Recently I have been all about roasting garlic. Granted, I have always been all for garlic, but lately roasted has stolen my heart. Maybe it is the amazing garlic roaster I just put an order in for from Avon (Yay for my Aunt being an Avon Rep!)* or the fact that some how my boyfriend and I keep finding restaurants that have roasted garlic in our meals, but any way you slice it (or roast it... bad joke, please bare with), roasted garlic is amazing.

Yesterday I roasted garlic for the first time using tips from these two blogs/websites:

The Hungry Mouse
Simply Recipes

I love the fact that The Hungry Mouse (Such a cute name!) not only shows an obvious infatuation with garlic just like me, but also shows multiple ways of using roasted garlic, including garlic infused oil and compound butter. Plus all the pictures let me know I am doing it right. Let’s face it, I am a highly visual person, sometimes I just do not get written directions. While sometimes her written directions are hard to follow, the pictures helped me at least, keep me on the right track.

Simply Recipes just had the most amazing tip: put the garlic in a muffin tin. It not only holds the garlic straight up, but it is perfectly sized for garlic. The only issue? If you are trying to infuse cooking oil at the same time, it is a hell of a feat to get the oil from the muffin tin into a container. Nearly darn impossible… Trust me, I tried it yesterday and mess one big mess.

Now some of you might be asking the most important question: Why roast garlic?

First off, it tastes amazing, alone or with other food. Secondly, it is a healthy alternative to butter. Thirdly, it keeps the sparkly weirdos far far away, as well as their squeaky fan girls. Fourth, you can easily turn it into a garlic paste and use it mashed potatoes, with vegetables, mix with butter, etc. I am sure I am missing some fantastic reasons to roast garlic. So feel free to share your ideas with us!

* Speaking of Avon, if you are ever looking for an Avon lady, I know a swell one. Just let me know and I will get you in touch with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment